Atlético Ottawa and Valor FC exchange penalties early in a 1-1 draw at TD Place – Canadian Premier League

Atlético Ottawa and Valor FC tied the points at TD Place on Wednesday night, drawing 1-1 in a battle between two playoff contenders. The start of the match was action-packed with both teams scoring from the penalty spot within 15 minutes.

Valor was the first to intervene, in the 10th minute of the match. After the referee spotted a hand from Ottawa defender MacDonald Niba, Valour’s top scorer Moses Dyer came over to take the free kick. After freezing Nathan Ingham with a stuttering pitch, Dyer rammed the ball into the bottom right corner of the net to give Valor the lead.

The lead didn’t last very long, just five minutes, as the home side were awarded a penalty in turn, after Andrew Jean-Baptiste handled the ball at the other end of the pitch. Vladimir Moragrega stepped in for Ottawa and his shot hit Valor goalkeeper Jonathan Sirois before entering the roof of the net for Moragrega’s first Canadian Premier League goal.

The two teams exchanged shots back and forth for the remainder of the first half, but the score would be 1-1 after 45 minutes.

Ollie Bassett had the first good chance of the second half, firing a shot from the edge of the penalty area. He took a deflection and dove towards the goal, but Sirois managed to get his fingers on it to push him over the bar.

Not to be outdone, Ingham made an impressive save in the 68th minute, belying Walter Ponce. After the Chilean striker’s first shot from the edge of the box was blocked, he fired a second, which forced Ingham to reach and make an acrobatic save to drive him over the bar.

After another 20 minutes from start to finish, in which Ottawa appeared to have the upper hand and the better chances, the capital club had two final chances to win the game in stoppage time.

Ballou Tabla ran through the middle of the Valor baseline, but instead of shooting himself, tried to play it across the box towards Malcolm Shaw for an easy tap-in. He slightly overshot his pass and Shaw couldn’t get a foot on it.

Shaw had another shot moments later after Carl Haworth crossed the ball for him, but he couldn’t get enough power behind his shot, and Sirois was able to catch it, so the game would end 1 -1



10′ — Moses Dyer (Valor FC) — penalty

15′ — Vladimir Moragrega (Atlético Ottawa) — penalty


77′ — Yellow: Walter Ponce (Valor FC)

83′ — Yellow: Andy Baquero (Valor FC)

83′ — Yellow: Rocco Romeo (Valor FC)

90+4′ — Yellow: Moses Dyer (Valor FC)

About Mildred B.

Check Also

Suns’ shorthanded effort in Wednesday’s win showed why they’re title contenders, and the Timberwolves aren’t – Twin Cities

After a performance in which she was disappointed in her effort and energy, a team …