The MYSTERY remains as the investigation into the homicide of Gabby Petito is still open, as experts believe that the notebook of Brian Laundrie and his parents could be the key.
Laundrie, 23, was a person of interest in Gabby’s disappearance and a search for his whereabouts was underway after Gabby was found strangled to death near Grand Teton National Park in September.
Weeks later, remains were found in search of Laundrie and identified as his.
However, the investigation into Gabby’s murder remains open as the new year begins.
Authorities have not provided an update on the case since November 23, when medical examiners confirmed Laundrie’s cause of death was a gunshot wound to the head.
The Sun contacted FBI Denver to find out why the case remains open, but did not receive an immediate response.
Former FBI agent Jennifer Coffindaffer told NewsNationNow why she believes the case remains open.
Coffindaffer said: “I think the FBI is using all of their chemical and other techniques to extract as much as they can from this notebook, depending on what was written in there… You can imagine that it could be a long and tedious process., but they can do it. “
Laundrie’s notebook, which revealed he had $ 20,000 in his bank account despite the theft of his fiancée, Gabby, could be returned to his parents.
Chris and Roberta Laundrie filed a petition to reclaim their son’s property after his death in October.
Court documents indicate that Laundrie died intestate, meaning he did not make a will until his death.
According to court records obtained by Radar, Chris and Roberta filed a petition in Sarasota County Court on December 8.
The couple are asking to become administrators of their estate.
Records show they submitted Brian’s death certificate to court along with information about his bank accounts and property.
The area of the laundries also includes a notebook found near his remains. The exact contents of the notebook are unknown, but it is believed that his last words could be inside. It is unlikely that they will ever be made public.
However, Gabby’s mother Nichole Schmidt has filed a claim for her daughter’s property. According to court documents, the amount of the claim is unknown.
The deposit of the succession is “a formality”, specifies the lawyer of the Laundrie family, Steven Bertolino and that “arrangements will be made so that the personal effects of Gabby Petito which are currently at the home of Chris and Roberta Laundrie are returned to Gabby’s family. without competition. “
Laundrie allegedly stole Gabby’s bank card and used it to spend $ 1,000 to return to Florida after Gabby’s murder.
It’s unclear what else was in the notebook and if that would help the FBI with their investigation.
While it was not clear when this would happen, Coffindaffer was certain that “the FBI will issue some sort of press release indicating who they believe was responsible for this crime.”
If you or someone you know is affected by any of the issues raised in this article, call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 800-273-TALK (8255) or text Crisis Text Line at 741741.
Gabby Petito timeline
Gabby Petito, 22, was last seen on August 24, leaving a Utah hotel. Here is a timeline of Gabby Petito’s disappearance:
- June 2021 – Gabby Petito and her fiancé Brian Laundrie have embarked on a journey through the United States.
- 4th July – Gabby posts pictures of herself barefoot in Gove County, Kansas.
- July 8 – Gabby posts photos of herself in Great Sand Dunes National Park in Colorado.
- July 18 – Gabby and Brian post photos of themselves in Zion National Park, Utah.
- August 12 – Body camera footage was released in September showing an encounter Brian and Gabby had with police in Utah. Police confirmed that no serious injuries had been reported.
- August 19 – Gabby and Brian are posting a video on their YouTube channel about their trip.
- 24 august – Gabby is seen leaving a hotel in Salt Lake City, Utah.
- August 25 – Gabby Facetime her mother, Nichole Schmidt, for the last time. In a subsequent police report, Schmidt said her conversations with her daughter revealed “growing tension” between her and Brian.
- 25 august – Gabby also posts her latest Instagram. No location is indicated.
- August 27 – Gabby is seen for what is believed to be the last time. Witnesses claim to see Brian in an explosive argument with restaurant staff in Jackson Hole, leaving Gabby in tears.
- August 27 – Four hours later, travel bloggers driving through Grand Teton National Park drive past the couple’s “abandoned” van on a dirt road.
- September 1st – Brian goes home to Florida without Gabby.
- September 11th – Gabby’s parents report her disappearance to Suffolk County Police.
- September 14 – Brian’s family release a statement saying he has retained a lawyer and will not cooperate with investigators.
- September 14 – Brian was reportedly last seen by his family. He allegedly told them he was going to hike the Cartlon Preserve but did not return.
- September 15th – North Port Florida Police say Brian is a person of interest in the case. He is not charged with any crime.
- September 16 – Utah Police are releasing body camera footage of the police encounter with Brian and Gabby.
- September 17 – Brian’s parents say they haven’t seen their son for a few days and report his missing.
- September 18 – Police say they were looking for Brian on the Carlton Reservation in Florida. The police say they haven’t found anything.
- September 19 – Wyoming officials say they found a body in Grand Teton National Park. The FBI reports that the body is Gabby’s, but a full forensic identification must first be completed to confirm.
- September 20 – Police execute a search warrant at Laundrie’s home, seizing his silver Mustang and a hard drive that may contain “relevant evidence to prove a crime has been committed.”
- September 21 – Authorities say they will perform an autopsy on the remains found in Wyoming to confirm whether or not they belong to Gabby. Police have also resumed their search for the laundromat, this time on the Venice side of the Carlton Reserve.
- September 21 – The FBI announced that the body found in Wyoming was Gabby’s. The cause of death has not yet been revealed.
- September 21 – The Teton County Coroner’s Office said Gabby’s official cause of death was still pending, but the original mode of death was homicide.
- September 22 – Police continue to search the Carlton reservation for a trace of Laundrie, but give no leads. A team of specialized divers is called in to help with the hunt.
- September 23 – Authorities have announced that a federal arrest warrant has been issued for Brian.
- September 26 – Gabby’s funeral was held in Long Island, New York.
- 12 october: Gabby’s autopsy results have been released. Teton County Coroner Dr Brent Blue confirmed Gabby died from strangulation.
- 20 october: Laundrie’s personal items were found at Myakkahatchee Creek Environmental Park. A medical examiner was called to the scene.
- 21st of October: The FBI has confirmed that the remains found have been identified as laundry.
- November 23: Laundrie’s autopsy reveals he died of a gunshot wound to the head
We pay for your stories!
Do you have a story for the US Sun team?